What is Dementia?
Dementia is an age associated condition that affects and diminishes quality of life.
- Dementia causes a loss of cognitive function severe enough to interfere with daily functioning.
- Dementia is NOT a disease.
- Dementia is NOT part of normal aging.
- Dementia is a term used to describe a group of clinical/behavioral symptoms associated with a certain disease or condition. Below is a graphic illustrating this.
Why is it Important to Know the Type of Dementia?
- It will determine the “course of treatment” and the expectations of staging and rate of decline.
- It will help with determining the best ways to handle challenging “behaviors” and organize staffing patterns.
- It will help in understanding what behaviors are to be expected in the future.
- It will tell you how to best interact and communicate with the person affected.